Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homestead Update








.
This blog started out as a homesteading journal. I posted pictures of our venture here in the Ozarks, and essays about how things were going.
.
For the most part it has been a struggle and never really approached sustainability, which was my original goal. I work so far from home, it's impossible to both take care of the homestead and earn the income needed to keep it floating.
.
Recently Gary and I divorced, and now the land will have to be sold as part of the divorce settlement. I'm waiting on the appraisal, but maybe if it comes in at a reasonable amount, I'll be able to refinance it and buy it back myself.
.
Or maybe my future homesteading efforts will become a joint venture with a friend/partner who's interested in the same goals.
.
Or maybe I'll just start fresh somewhere else nearby. It's very unlikely that I'll give up. That's just not my nature.
.
The future is wide open and I'll keep you posted on my progress, whether I'm here at the same old homestead or somewhere else.
.
In the meantime, herb walks will continue as before. Before each season, I'll post the schedule and locations. We may start using the park trails at Boxley this year instead.
.














4 comments:

NitWit1 said...

It seems you have had a pocketful of problems, but I pray some peace and resolution of acceptance comes to you.

It will probably take time.

I'm much older looking at the end of our life together as we are in our 70s. There were times I didn't think we could hold it together, as much me as my husband but so far it we have. Somedays I sit and wonder which would have been a better choice, but it is what it is.

I truly hope your life evolves into a more successful venture and peach.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really hope things will work out great for you in the end. Like I mentioned before, I always enjoyed following your blog and was impressed with your ability to hold it all together - for as long as you did!

"Homesteading" may sound romantic and dreamy to many, but we know it is hard work and is it is not a task easily accomplished by one person or one couple for that matter.

Congratulations to your achievements despite the "head winds" and all the best in your new endeavors!!

Peter

Roxann said...

NitWit1, thanks for the encouragement.

Peter, yep, it's hard homesteading, especially out in near wilderness. Its not the sort of thing everyone enjoys. I don't enjoy suburban living.

flowerweaver said...

Sorry to hear about what's been going on. I can vouch the homesteading life is not for everyone and having to work and commute makes it an extra challenge. Sending positive thoughts that whatever happens you will be able to continue your country life in some way, that you find peace again, and a like-minded life partner.