Sunday, November 01, 2009

Sunrise

This morning I got up before the sun crept over the mountaintop. I fed the horses and sat down for a spell to enjoy the sunrise. The first finger reached way over the tops of the ridge to the south and west. For a long time the only thing with bright illumination was that mountaintop. Then the next finger crept over the top of the mountain east, brightening the southeast corner of that ridge. In short order the sun's orb showed itself in a blinding splash of light. At that point, I picked out Snippy's hooves and turned them loose. No particular reason for waiting; I just wanted to watch the sunrise. It's always late here because of the close proximity of the mountains. The final show arrived at about 7:40. That's about one hour later than the flat-landers.

With last night's time change, I was able to get up before the sun and feel like an early riser. Tonight, though, I'll take back all the nice things I felt because it will get dark an hour earlier than the night before, and I don't particularly like that. It means that Friday was the last day until March 25 that I'll get home from work before the sun is completely down. So, I'll leave when it's dark and get home when it's dark. I don't like that at all.

No comments: