Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weather and cabinets

The new title picture is the view from the front porch of the old house. Later, when the old house is torn down, it will be the view from the front porch of the new house.

We got a lot of rain overnight Thursday, but not as much as the weather channel predicted. It probably amounted to around 3", but they were calling for a possible 6 to 9 inches, so we lucked out. I was afraid the rain would wash out our driveway, after my dad had put so much work into it, but we got lucky there too and it hardly suffered any erosion at all. Today when I woke up it was 43*, not as chilly as predicted, either. And that was good, too. This is our first winter in the new house. I was worried about how easy it would be to heat, since we don't have central air/heat. I hung thermal curtains in the doorway leading from the living room to the kitchen, and now the kitchen is easy to get warm and it keeps the warmth from spilling over to the living room, which is still under construction. We don't use the living room except as passage to the boy's room and outside, so there's no need to warm it yet.

Plans for today include building another cabinet in the kitchen and finishing the one I started in the utility room. I have one of the old glass windows from the old house that I am planning to use in one of the smaller upper cabinets for the door. Maybe I'll have time to build that one, too. If it works well, and I do a decent job of it, I may use the other windows as doors on the rest of the upper cabinets, too. Since these were once windows, they don't come with knobs, but I'd like to get some of the old multi-facet glass knobs for them. I think that would be pretty and would go nicely with the 'country' theme of the lower cabinets. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot roxann. You have colors changing in your trees. I only have changing pigeons in my neighbor's palm trees.

Is that big drop-off in land on your property? that looks like a heck of a ravine. ....bob

Roxann said...

hi bob, that's actually the mountain across the creek. it has a pretty steep rise. the valleys here are narrow and deep, although the mountains are not that high. the valley runs east-west and the house faces south, so the hills are running east-west also, at least in the little range that makes up our valley.

Joyce Paski said...

That's some view -- gorgeous! I love the idea of using the windows as cabinet doors; it's so creative. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

Roxann said...

Hi Joyce, I'm glad you like the idea...I sure hope it looks as good as it does in my mind! I'll take pictures of this weekend's cabinets later today. They won't be painted yet, most likely, but they should at least be roughed in. It's a low counter and a pantry, and it's the first one I'll try making an actual door for. Hope it works!

NitWit1 said...

You are going to have a busy day. Further the physical exertion probably will negate the need for much additional heat!

Love the title shot. I've got to figure out a new template that will accommodate some of my photos.