Monday, October 19, 2009

More color

Garrison called me to come take a picture of the oak this morning. He was right, the oak was shining in Fall Splendor once the sun made it over the mountain. The title picture is the view to the east from the porch or the balcony. The tree must be over 200 years. It has a partner, a red oak, about 50-100 feet west, but it is struggling to survive an oak borer infection and the carpenter ants have moved in. It is about the same age but not nearly as robust.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Beautiful beautiful tree. Makes me want to cry. We moved to our current house 7 years ago and there was at least a 100 year old maple tree smack dab in the middle of driveway. We just drove around it to get to the garage. 3 years ago it died and was leaning towards the house and we had to cut it down. Once we got to the trunk portion I measured it. Was 5 feet wide across.

NitWit1 said...

What a lovely view. And I am impressed your husband recognized its beauty and called you to take the picture.

Roxann said...

Ha, it was my son who saw the beauty and wanted me to take the picture. Diane, I am feeling a sort of dread at the impending doom of the red oak. Right now, it's okay and still trying to survive, but there will come a day when I'll have to do something.

Pablo said...

You should join Nature Blogs Network.

Joyce Paski said...

Don't you just love trees? You can almost hear them calling to you: "Climb into my strong arms and let me hold you. Feel my wisdom; let it pass into you and make you strong that you may bear the trials of your spirit. Nature's Child, glory in Creation!" P.S. The pantry's looking great.

Roxann said...

Pablo, I've never heard of Nature Blogs Network, but I'll look it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joyce, I know exactly what you mean about the trees talking to you. I love trees and rocks, and both are plentiful here for sure.