Sunday, July 26, 2009


Lowe's delivered the stove and refrigerator on Wed. last week. They brought it in a huge delivery truck and I was worried they wouldn't be able to get up to the house in it, but somehow they managed to get in AND out. Getting back out was harder than getting in. It feels so good to have a gas stove again. It was hard to find the one I wanted that fit my budget, though. I wanted gas, because I love cooking on gas ranges - it's easier to adjust the temp to simmer when you want to simmer or sautee without burning your dish. Also, I like to use a lot of cast iron and most of the ranges had small burner grating. But I finally found one that had heavy cast iron grates and the burner in the middle that I wanted for the griddle or oval dutch oven that I have.
The fridge is just a basic white freezer-on-top refrigerator. The 21cf one cost a bit more than the 18cf, but the operating cost per year was significantly less for the larger one, so I went with the larger one. In a few years, the energy savings should pay the difference for the upgrade.
Today's plans include moving Sallie's old glass door cabinet to the porch so I can refinish it. We are also laying the first course of rocks for a retaining wall in front of the house to help with erosion around the porch piers. We also need to move all the stuff from the living room into the kitchen so Eric (our contractor and neighbor) can begin working on the paint in there.
On thing is sure. I will never run out of things to keep me busy, and I should never get bored with life. This place is a lifetime project, and it's a good thing the work is something that makes me feel a sense of accomplisment and satisfaction. Without that, it is punishing to live out here. I guess that is how my husband looked at it and one of the reasons he left; punishing and enslaving. The experience here is quite the opposite for me; rewarding and liberating. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice size range. Is one of the back eyes a candy eye?

In any case , you could cook gumbo and fry fish, at the time time, with that much room ....bob

Roxann said...

Bob, what the heck's a candy eye? Oh yeah, gumbo and fried fish...mmmm.mmmm

Anonymous said...

My gas range has a back candy eye. That eye is smaller (not the room for the pot to sit -- just the part from which the gas/fire eminates -- ) with only half as many holes for gas (fire). So, lower temps --- easier to control for making candy

Roxann said...

yes, that might be what it is. the flame goes much lower on that one, i use it for low simmer because none of the other burners go that low.