Tuesday, February 13, 2007

It rained all day yesterday and most of the night. When I left for work this morning, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to try the front way out or go on and take the back way. The back way takes much longer, but there are no bridges to cross. Well, I decided to try my luck. The first bridge had a couple inches of water on it, not too much for my jeep to handle, so I crossed it. I always hate doing that because it scares me after having seen my large dog go over the edge of it one time when it was flooded. But no problem this morning. Then the neighbor who lives on that side of the bridge was coming down the road in my direction, which meant that he didn't go over the next bridge, the King's River. So I turned around and was hoping that the water hadn't already risen too high over the bridge I'd just come across. When that happens, and it HAS happened before in the past (but not to me, thank goodness!), you have to wait hours for the water to go down while you're stuck between the two bridges. Felkin's creek will always be an easier pass than the King's River. They're all low-water bridges on our county road, which means they're just a concrete pass over the water, with no rails or sides of any sort, so the water can just pass over it when it rises.

No comments: