Sunday, February 25, 2007

I’m not sure which is really the correct term for it, but I finally built one! It’s been a project on my list of things to do for a long time, a place to start seeds before it’s warm enough outside for them. I don’t have space in my house in any of the windows. I made the frame from rocks stacked higher on the north end than on the south end so that when I put the glass down on it, it’s facing south at about a 45* angle. Put some old clay tiles down inside so that my seed trays will drain better than if they were sitting directly on the dirt, and plus I was afraid the roots would go through the trays into the dirt if I put them directly on the ground. If that doesn’t work out too good, I might just plant the seeds directly in there and transplant them as they sprout. I’m not completely done with it yet, though. I’ve been putting dirt on the surface of the rocks to give the glass a better seal. Right now there are still plenty gaps for cold air to get in. I have a way to prop it to vent, but I’d like to get one of those automatic lifters so it will vent on its own when it gets too hot in there. So, I’m excited that I finally got to do ~something~ homestead related, I’m usually too busy at work and it hasn’t been daylight long enough when I get off to get anything done. Also yesterday I took out my incubator and started saving eggs to hatch out. By the end of the week I’ll have enough for a small batch, but I’m putting the eggs I’ve gathered so far in there with no heat but the turner plugged in so they’ll get rotated while they wait.

No comments: