Sunday, September 12, 2010

Having a Little Fun

Finally, the rain came down in enough quantity to get the creeks flowing again.

As we headed out the other morning, on our usual jaunt down the county road toward school and work, I dodged a large puddle.

“Aw mom, why didn’t you speed up and hydroplane it!” he cried. This drew a sharp look from me.

He was truly dismayed. I was absolutely mortified.

“Hmmm. It’s going to be a while before you can get your permit.”

That little exchange did get me thinking though. There was a time when my first instinct would have been to splash joyfully through it, and I have experienced the sheer fear and adrenaline rush of hydroplaning (not that it’s something I’d repeat…)

My first instinct was to go around the puddle, and it was his to go straight through.

So when we came upon the next big puddle, we did make a mess. Muddy water splattered all the way up to the windshields. And it was fun and he was satisfied even if we didn’t skate the surface :)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Carpe diem! Love the fact you decided to zig instead of zag -- your boy must have had a big grin on his face that morning. :)